Stories: by Affiliation

Scottish United Presbyterian Mission

All stories affiliated with this institution

The United Presbyterian Missionary Society of Scotland sent its agents to China in 1864. Work was commenced at Ningbo, and afterwards extended to Yantai, but these stations were left, and Manchuria become the special sphere of the Society. The Rev. Alexander Williamson, LL.D., was the patriarch of the Mission, having been in China since 1855, working in various departments. He devoted himself entirely to literary work, and prepared some books of Christian history and doctrine. The Revs. J. Ross and J. Mclntyre, who went out in 1872, were at the head of the two great centers of operation, Hai-chung and Moukden. A medical hospital was in operation in each of these places. Mr. Ross completed a translation of the New Testament into the Korean language. In 1890 there were seven missionaries employed, one lady agent, fourteen native helpers, and about eight hundred communicants reported.

United Presbyterian Church of Scotland (1847-1900) was a Scottish Presbyterian denomination. It was formed in 1847 by the union of the United Secession Church and the Relief Church, and in 1900 merged with the Free Church of Scotland to form the United Free Church of Scotland, which in turn united with the Church of Scotland in 1929. For most of its existence the United Presbyterian Church was the third largest Presbyterian Church in Scotland, and stood on the liberal wing of Scots Presbyterianism. The Church's name was often abbreviated to the initials U.P.

Dugald Christie

1855 ~ 1936

Scottish medical missionary in China.

Locale:

John Ross

1842 ~ 1915

Scottish Presbyterian missionary in Manchuria and Korea, directed the first Korean translation of the New Testament.

Locales:

Recently Added Stories

More »

Most Viewed Stories

More »